Sunday, November 14, 2010

Dagdusheth Ganpati and Pune Public Transport

Of the few major cities I've been in India, Delhi , Bangalore and now Pune , Pune it seems to have the worst public transport. The other day I was visiting the city's famous Dagadusheth Halwai Ganapati Temple . The bus took 1 hour to arrive at the bus stand and did not even stop , only one guy managed to jump on to it , my attempt was blocked by a rickshaw that was trying to pick up frustrated commuters.



Then I walked back to the main Bus stand in the hopes of getting a ride, asked for assistance to the bus driver who said something in Marathi. After asking a few more people finally found the platform where I had to wait another hour. When the bus finally arrived there was a sizable crowd gathered to board it. once the bus stopped there was a mad clamor to get on to it ,the guy before me was carrying a drum , who almost crushed my fingers against the bus railing.There are no queues here every man for himself and ladies too who jostle with the men to get on. Those who can't get it hang on to dear life on to the railing near the doors.

The bus took its own sweet time and almost everyone in the bus had a go at stepping on my foot trying to get ahead. Finally the bus arrived and the temple was not too far from where I had to get down , found the temple and the Ganesh Idol there is one of the best I've ever seen , its magnificent, adorned in gold and other jewels.



Photography is not allowed inside the temple, atleast that what the signs say.




Not a much known fact is the idol was sculpted by Nagappa Shilpi from Dharwad Karnataka after the 1st idol started to appear a bit tattered. Not much info is available about the sculptor though. He hailed from Dharwad was told to me by my dad.

The bus back to home was equally tiring waiting of an hour and then the arrival of a crowed bus. This time it was me who was hanging on to my dear life at the door of the bus.



Then was pushed inside the bus , by other commuter who also wanted to get in at the next stop.Its not cheap either , If I had my bike it would have been cheaper . It's time to get my bike down here But it was all worth it , Wanted to visit the temple and really happy I did.

Dagdushet Images belong to Bavesh, a big thanks to him,for letting me use.Dagdushet Images copyright held by Bhavesh

5 comments:

  1. too gud.. kiran atta tula marathi shikala paije ki.. me tula shikala help karusakto bug!! parat hubli ayenar to mala bhetun jaa kai??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Kiran,

    It's a nice post.

    I see that you have given credit to me as email. However, I will appreciate if you can do a couple of changes…
    • The first change is to update the photographs from my Dagdusheth Ganpati post with watermarks on the same.
    • The second change would be to link the photographs to the post.
    • The third change that I need is that you put a link to the post instead of my email address.

    I am sure that you understand the importance of this keeping yourself in my position :) Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am your first follower due to the moral you have and that you have a really good blog. Keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing above information! I really appreciate this post. I would like you to create many posts with new topics on this blog. - Dog Buy & Sale Classified

    Amazing & true facts!!!
    http://www.dog-buy.com/

    ReplyDelete